Creamy Tomato Soup
This little beauty is tasty, nourishing, satisfying and perfect for those colder winter days. It’s also pretty cheap to make and is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free!!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (pre-soak in 1 cup of boiling water)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice (can be flavoured but always check ingredients)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil or crispy bacon strips cut into crouton size pieces
1. Pre-soak cashews in boiling water for around 30 mins
2. In a blender, blitz garlic, onion and a can of tomatoes and add to a big pot. Blitz second can of tomatoes and tomato paste and add to pot.
3. Drain the cashews, place them in a blender with a cup of warm water and blend until smooth and creamy, then pour into the pot.
4. Heat the soup over medium heat until steaming, but don’t let the soup boil. Add paprika and mix through.
5. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil or crispy bacon croutons and serve immediately.