Cauliflower Lasagne Bake Recipe
- 1 large head Cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Homemade Tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 oz Pepperoni slices or pre-cooked bacon bits
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c
- In a casserole dish, cover the cauliflower with avocado oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Arrange evenly in a single layer and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes, until a little golden. If you want the cauliflower browned more evenly, you can toss halfway through. (Leave oven preheated after – you will need to use it again.)
- Pour your tomato sauce evenly over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, then top with Italian seasoning (if using). Place pepperoni slices or pre-cooked bacon bits over the cheese.
- Place the casserole back in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
Homemade tomato sauce (my cheats way of making it!)
- 1 can of Italian spiced tomatoes: please make sure you choose a can with real ingredients! No numbers, no preservatives!
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Avocado oil
- chopped capsicum (optional)
- chopped olives or capers (optional)
- salt and pepper to flavour
- Chop onion and fry in a little avocado oil with some chopped garlic
- Place contents of can of Italian spiced tomatoes into pan and heat through
- If too sweet, add some chopped olives, capers or a little salt and pepper to adjust to your preferred flavour
- Sauce will naturally thicken and reduce the longer you cook it.
Lasagne: To turn this into lasagne, place half of your cooked cauliflower in a casserole dish to line the bottom. Add a layer of cheese, then a layer of tomato sauce. You can also add a layer of pre-cooked bacon bits. Add the next layer of cauliflower, tomato sauce and finish with more cheese.
Cook until cheese is melted and golden and your dish sounds like a bubbling hot pool!